Liaising with the client – Reflection

The contact that I have had with my client has been a back and forth in constant communication. However, I’ve found it to be a challenge with extract the right information to be able to create the work to the standard they are expecting. An example of this is the initial email that I had received from Nick, discussing what the project was and what they, as a company, were expecting. Within this email there is a section where Nick explains where the player would be within that environment.

“The environment is shown at a very significant part of the games narrative and therefore needs to have a meaningful score to go along with it to create a lasting impact on our players.”

The key word that I took from this that I didn’t truly understand was ‘meaningful’. After a Skype call with Nick, I found that what he meant by this was composing a piece of music that will support the visuals and create a sense of immersion for the player. He explained that he wanted to gain the feeling that he had felt with games such as Metal Gear Solid, Final Fantasy and World of Warcraft, where certain areas of the game still sit clearly in his mind purely because of the music.

I feel in a ‘real world’ situation, this is a key skill for working along side a client, as often the client can say one thing which can be quite vague but in their head they have a clear vision of where they want the project to be. It has been extremely useful for myself to clarify points such as this with my client, as it is starting to set the project into a clear direction by having specific goals to aim towards.